Dublin Mountains Way
The Dublin Mountains Way is a new national waymarked way stretching from Tallaght in West Dublin to Shankill in South Dublin covering 43km of fully waymarked trail.
Picture: Curragh Massy on the Tallaght end of the trail
At the western end of the route the trailhead is in Sean Walsh Park in Tallaght only 5 minutes walk from Tallaght Luas Stop. At the southern end of the route the trailhead is just over 3km from Luas Brides Glen stop but you can link up with the trail in Rathmichael circa 2km away from the stop.
The trail route is primarily on trails and forest roads, with some sections on public road. It is a wonderful varied walk with magnificent views of the city, the coast and the Wicklow Mountains, along with many interesting cultural features such as megalithic tombs; geological features and natural habitats.
If you are feeling energetic you can walk the whole 43km (estimated 9hrs) but you can also walk sections of the trail.
Suggested Luas Walking Day Out
1. Start out in Dublin City Centre at Busáras Luas Stop
(or any Luas Red Line stop) and take a tram to Tallaght (Journey Time 45mins)
2. Stop in Tallaght for water and provisions
3. Walk 5 minutes to Sean Walsh Park to the Dublin Mountain trailhead
4. Walk up as far as the Hellfire Club hours exploring the Dodder River, Annmount Spink, Massy’s Wood and back.
5. Grab a well deserved bite to eat and drink in Tallaght
6. Head back to Dublin City Centre
Want to head for a walking tour in Dublin Mountains hassle free? Trails & Tales, a family business, offer short cultural walking tours led by an authentic guide local to the Dublin Mountains. All walks must be prebooked. Click here for more info.
- Click Here to download or view the Dublin Mountains Way Hellfire to Tallaght Map.
- Take a preview of the route watch the Tracks & Trails series - Dublin Mountains Way episode with Ken Doherty and Fair City actress Ciara O'Callaghan, Click Here.
- There is a lot more information on www.dublinmountains.ie Click Here to link to get to the Dublin Mountains Way section